- Details the history behind the world wide web and designates communication as the key feature of cyberspace.
- Instantaneity and the reliance on speed on the Internet will cause trauma and disturb our sense of time and space.
- Discusses the three worlds and how cyberspace has displaced world 3.
- Why we should study computer games (psychological, economic, and instructional forces), and whether or not computer games lead to RL violence,
McAllister- A Grammar of Gamework- recommended reading
Do Artifacts Have Politics-recommended reading
- Methodology of how to study games: 1. play the game 2. watch others play the game 3. interact with producers of the game and learn the setup/world of the game.
- Discusses the line between VR and RL pertaining to a Mr. Bungle raping another avatar in LambdaMoo
- Expresses the importance of actively placing ethical values within the design of cyberspace and warns of technological determinism.
- Discusses that people's Facebook avatar is not as different from who they are in real life as people had thought.
- Provides key statistics pertaining to teen web and social network usage.
- Discusses relationships online and the recent trend of online dating/matchmaking
- Discusses how Aimee Gonzales was affected by the film, Catfish.
Movies Watched in Class
GoogleBooks Preview of Required Textbooks
Notes on Class Readings
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.