Back to Cyber Racism January.16.2012/January.17.2012 ~ Cyber Racism
Background on Jessie Daniels *PhD in Sociology
- Associate Professor of Urban Public Health
- Worked with Patricia Hill Collins
- Extensive archival research on print-based white supremacy writing
Major Ideas *Cyber Racism
- Epistemology and epistemology of white supremacy
- white supremacy
- translocal whiteness
- white racial frame
- Actual vs. potential harm
- Active vs. passive participants
Cyber racism is either portrayed as equal to cyberactivism or not equal to cyberactivism, but it is a much more complex topic.
Cyberactivism~ Proliferation of social movement orgs that avail themselves of Internet technologies to further their goals, often include promoting a more inclusive democratic society.
Cyber Racism~ refers to a range of white supremacist movements in Europe and NA and to the new horizons the Internet and digital media have opened for expression of whiteness across national boundaries.
Epistemology*studies of issues having to do with the creation and determination of knowledge in particular areas of inquiry.
- Knowledge → justified true belief
- JTB relies on evidence
- Evidence can be produced by anyone in cyberspace.
- White Supremacy as Epistemology
- racial hierarchy where white is the dominant racial identity.
- supports a notion of white and whiteness born out of a perceived biological, national, social, and ideological affiliations.
- what is whiteness?
Whiteness *“Unmarked racial identity or the belief in an unmarked racial identity” - Ruth Frankenburg
- “A privileged racialized class in the uS built around historical, economic, and ideological motivations” - David R
- “Race in UK is constructed socially, politically, and ideologically, to secure and maintain capitalism. Whitness is the dominant mode of stratification.” - Paul Gilroy
- “Maintenance of white privilege without fanfare, operates under colorblindness”
- “Spectrum...” RR
Important things to Consider *whiteness and white supremacy are not the same
- whiteness allows for certain epistemologies of WS to go unchecked
- not a study of how whites are bad. Study of how power circulates through practice of racialization. Same with masculinity concept.
The Internet *Electronic networks that connect ppl and info through computers and other digital devices allowing person-to-person communication and info retrieval.
Globalization *goods, money, people, ideas, media across time, space, and national boundaries. Digital diaspora
Translocal whiteness *notion of whiteness with roots in a locality. Example Professor Richards identifies as white, but so might a middle eastern man across the world.
The story of Richard Machado *caught writing a racist email
- stats of populations in CA... Asian percentage in area 29.8 (10.9 in state), Latino percentage in area 7.9 (32.4 in state)
- boundaries of whiteness are quite flexible
- assimilation of white racial fram- a framingof self as dominant racial category
- he was punished, but rightfully so? Legitamately white people are convicted of racial slurs and not punished...
- only man of color to be charged for this type of action
Dr. Duke *in member
- supporter of KKK
- kicked out when affiliation became known
Stormfront- relies on heteromnormative thought
Gender and Stormfront *heteronormative masculinity- assumes male is heterosexual
- control of women’s sexual identity
- contradictions of female stormfront members
- liberal feminism and male domination
- prochoice/proabortion does not fit masculine thought
- talking about abuse and how the women got back at their men
- discussion ended in white supremacy frame of mind though
- Web 2.0 changes the resistive texts back to prevailing white supremacist ideology
- white masculinity acts as a ghost of the machine
Case Studies- What can be funny and what crosses the line? Our generation thinks we are in a post-racial era, but we aren’t*Seinfeld Comedian
- Alexandra and Asians
- Black comedian about chicken
- Yo is this racist website?
- and the game online- didn’t see